For over a century Law Enforcement services for the Borough of Upper Saddle River were provided by Marshals, who would receive emergency calls for service from the State Police substation located in Ramsey and would respond from their home. Marshals controlled the Borough up until 1957, which is when the Upper Saddle River Police Department was formed.
The Upper Saddle River Police Department initially operated out of two rooms located in the Borough Hall, up until 1969 when the Department moved into a residential home next to the Borough Hall. The residential home was renovated by Upper Saddle River Police Officers, forming the first Upper Saddle River Police Headquarters. At that point the Upper Saddle River Police Department was staffed by the Police Chief, a Patrol Lieutenant, two Sergeants, and eight Patrolman. From that point forward the Upper Saddle River Police Department provided all Law Enforcement services to the Borough, and began to grow. By 1988 the Upper Saddle River Police Department reached its current staffing levels of seventeen full time sworn police officers, and a new Police Headquarters was built which the Department continues to operate from presently.